It is cold outdoors, but luckily toasty warm in my living room where I sit to update the blog. 

Last July, John and Lil' Palmer, a couple who I befriended and kindly patronize my work, tragically lost their lives in a fatal single-car accident while returning from a trip to see mutual friends here in Green Bank. Sadly, I missed seeing them because I was in Seattle,WA on my way back to the East Coast.  The Palmers were well-known and highly-respected collectors of Americana focusing on Virginia and the South with a special emphasis on important Virginia folk pottery. John recorded detailed provenance and research notes for their collection and many pieces carry publication and exhibition records. Lil loved birds and had an eye for collecting and acquiring those she liked. She owned many of the wooden birds I carved and commissioned several large pieces. Her common method of coaxing me to carve her more birds was by telling me that "her birds were lonely and they wanted more friends" I am not a high volume producer and must go into a trance of insanity to produce bird artwork, it's that hard for me.  Next April 5 their entire collection will go for auction at Jeffrey S. Evans & Associates, see link:  http://www.jeffreysevans.com/auction_schedule.php#2014Apr


Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Cake Toppers

The Marriage of an Old House and a Dilapidated Shed